(as published on www.christianscience.com)
The heart of Christian Science is Love. It’s about feeling and understanding God’s goodness. It’s based on the Bible and is explained in Science and Health with Key to the Scriptures and other writings by Mary Baker Eddy. It shows the practicality of better understanding God, Christ Jesus, good and evil, life and death, sacrament, salvation, and more. Anyone can find God to be “a very present help in trouble” (Ps. 46:1).
The basic beliefs and principles of Christian Science, can be understood by reading the Tenets of Christian Science, which are found in the textbook “Science & Health with Key to the Scriptures” by Mary Baker Eddy, the founder and discoverer of Christian Science.
THE TENETS OF CHRISTIAN SCIENCE
as published in Science and Health with Key to the Scriptures by Mary Baker Eddy (page 497).
- As adherents of Truth, we take the inspired Word of the Bible as our sufficient guide to eternal Life.
- We acknowledge and adore one supreme and infinite God. We acknowledge His Son, one Christ; the Holy Ghost or divine Comforter; and man in God’s image and likeness.
- We acknowledge God’s forgiveness of sin in the destruction of sin and the spiritual understanding that casts out evil as unreal. But the belief in sin is punished so long as the belief lasts.
- We acknowledge Jesus’ atonement as the evidence of divine, efficacious Love, unfolding man’s unity with God through Christ Jesus the Way-shower; and we acknowledge that man is saved through Christ, through Truth, Life and Love as demonstrated by the Galilean prophet in healing the sick and overcoming sin and death.
- We acknowledge that the crucifixion of Jesus and his resurrection served to uplift faith to understand eternal Life, even the allness of Soul, Spirit, and the nothingness of matter.
- And we solemnly promise to watch, and pray for that Mind to be in us which was also in Christ Jesus; to do unto others as we would have them do unto us; and to be merciful, just, and pure.